A central park, heart of the city, that housed the fourteenth century military citadel and which in 1848 was demolished to make way for a racetrack! The ring shape allowed in fact the conduct of horse racing (very popular in the nineteenth century). The racecourse was then moved, such as sports competitions that were held there, and the park became just a park.
However , the walk is still very agreeable. You will no more find elegant riders and horsemen, but about 30 plant species, in the majority evergreen and especially cedars of Lebanon. Over time, the garden was further refined with numerous monuments. The most important is perhaps the Roman funerary monument to Concordi. Statues and fountains abound on all the way, creating nice views and intimate corners.
In the midst of the Parco del Popolo there is the Asilo Diana (Diana’s nursery school), the nucleus from which departed Loris Malaguzzi’s project, designed and built in 1970, and model and emblem of his education project. An important symbol for the history of Reggio Emilia!